EFT To Overcome Fears of Cycling and Bike Riding.
Using emotional freedom techniques to uncover what was limiting cycling performance.
Part three starting the process of discovery.
So I sat down with a pad of A3 drawing paper and some coloured pens and noted my concerns and mind mapped them. “EFT mind mapping and brain storming” is a great technique for uncovering “hidden drivers” and “outdated subconscious programs” and other negative emotional twitches and glitches I had.
I wanted to uncover any and all conscious, subconscious, rational or illogical concerns, glitches, twitches and any little tail-enders or mind-farts associated with cycling, from my past, present or future.
This set up a statement of intent and directed me and my mind as to the outcome I was expecting and directed my minds as to what they will do. Setting up your energy, intent and state is important for a successful out come after all.
Those of you with a little experience will also spot that I was also using post hypnotic suggestions, some time line stuff, embedded commands and presuppositions.
After an hour or so I had a full map about fifty little glitches that were preventing me, or could be preventing me from enjoying this amazing Trek Road bike.
Often many people fail to reach the goals and outcomes they desire because they are not prepared to put in the necessary work needed to achieve goals and what they want.
I knew what I wanted and I know what is required to achieve it, now all I had to do was work through the list and fix the glitches and problems and along the way, I know other stuff will be uncovered and additional reprogramming may have to be done. “We demonstrate what is a priority in our lives by what we do, not what we say”
Some of my initial concerns were.
- The ride would be totally different.
- It would feel strange, different, unfamiliar, exciting, challenging.
- Different muscles and angles of motion would be used and this could/would lead to pain and soreness.
- As the breaks were in a different position when I attempted to use them I might wobbled.
- I might fall off, if I needed to break fast.
- I had fallen off a few times when breaking fast.
- If I fall off due to my back injury I may be in serious trouble.
- Fears of injury, hurt, pain set backs and more fears and safety concerns.
- My other bike a Kona is very conspicuous, covered in reflective tape.
- This new bike is so pretty I was not going to do that to it.
- On the new bike can I fit a large mirror so I can see behind?
- I had never seen them on road bikes.
- How do I become more conspicuous on my new road bike?
- An old man in Lycra.
- How can I carry “all the stuff I ride with”
- How much stuff will I ride with as I will be going further and faster?
These were the main concerns, the mind maps pulled up loads of other secondary gains and concerns as I began to add branches and allow my mind to flow and just map whatever came up, however silly it may have seemed.
Starting big and then getting down to specifics, no matter how silly or offbeat they seamed to my conscious mind, these were after all hidden glitches or drivers that could limit my pleasure, they may have nothing to do with logic and what is reasonable and rational.
Often when we make our concerns conscious and voice them we realise how silly they are and many can be removed with logic, it is often that we have not been aware of them, before we do this drill. It is one of the reasons when doing EFT we say out loud what is the problem is, as when we do this it sounds absurd.
Part 1. Using Emotional Freedom Techniques to Overcome Fears and Anxieties of Cycling.
Part 2. Introduction to ecology check to clear some of the undergrowth that was limiting my future pleasure of riding my new bike and my fears and anxieties of cycling.
Part 4. Looking at the list of glitches that needed to be fixed in order to enjoy cycling.
Part 5. The bike arrives. A can of worms, deeper emotional problems are uncovered.
Part 6. Get closer to any deeper or core emotional problems that often limit our lives.
Part 7. Fear of falling off a bike and being injured. EFT fixes it.
Part 8. Working with my inner child to remove negative emotions.